Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Race #1 of the Season: Cherry Creek Sneak

This past Sunday, Brandon and I ran our first race of the season - the Cherry Creek Sneak. We also did this race last year - it was Brandon's first race and the day he officially became a runner (or so we said).

I wasn't expecting too much out of this one, especially since we ended up signing up for the 5K version of the race instead of the 5mi version we had originally hoped to do. Still, run it we did.

I got prepped the night before after my shower by tossing on my "winner" underwear - I wore them the night before the Autumn Color Run last year which ended up being my best race of the season. So, I figured it wouldn't hurt to actually wear them for a race.

Winner!

We got to sleep and then woke up Sunday morning ... although it was cold in the house and we didn't want to get up. Still, we did, got ready, ate breakfast and were out the door by 6:45am. Although the race didn't start until 8am, we wanted to get there early so we could park before they closed down the last of the streets.

We got there in plenty of time, parked, decided to get rid of a layer or two as it was warmer than weather.com said it would be, warmed up and stretched and I decided to poop (it was a decent poo. good sign!). We also wandered around what would end up being the post-race area in search of some PowerAde for Brandon ... and took pictures.

Cherry Creek Sneak
Cherry Creek Sneak

Finally, it was time to line up for the race.

Cherry Creek Sneak

Aaaand, we were off! Given that it was our first race of the season, we decided to run it together. Brandon's in a bit better shape than I am so it was a bit of a struggle for him to stay with me and my slow pace, but he did anyway.

He had his iPod for his Nike+ thing ... which helped a bit in keeping pace. We did the first mile in about 11 minutes, which was a little slow, but the first mile of a race always sucks, with getting into a groove and jockeying for position and dodging people and whatnot. We picked it up a bit during mile two, as we cut it down to a 10-something minute mile. I was in a bit of pain, but I kept moving; Brandon had to stop twice to tie his shoe.

We were hoping to make the last 1.1 miles our quickest, but I know it didn't happen with me (... well, maybe. don't know my actual splits; just my average). Brandon stayed with me until near the end when I told him to just go and finish. So, he sprinted ahead of me while I kept going. I took a picture of one of the FotoJack people, but it was too blurry for me to keep. :( Here's hoping that one makes it through ...

Anyway, I had just enough for a final kick to sprint across the finish line ... which I did in 32:47.5 for a 10:33.28/mi average. Definitely not my best race, but when I looked back on my race times from last year ... it was just over what I did for my third race last year. So ... given that it was my FIRST race this year ... I'll take it.

Cherry Creek Sneak
All smiles after the race!

Sprints tonight, longer run tomorrow, lifting Thursday, softball game on Friday ... and the Colorado Rockies' Home Run for the Homeless on Sunday!

1 comment:

Crabby McSlacker said...

Those underwear are awesome!

Seriously, I think I need a pair. I got to get rid of all these pairs I have that say Slacker slacker SLACKER all over 'em.