Thursday, February 28, 2008

I Hate Mucus

I was planning on going to the gym for a cardio day today but since it's delightful outside (56 degrees, sunny, slight breeze), I decided to run outside instead of on a treadmill. The reasons for this are threefold:
1. Running outside is superior to running inside
2. Treadmills bore the ever-living fuck out of me
3. Most of the running I plan on doing this year (that is, races) is all outdoors
Therefore, I figure while I have the fortune of good weather, I may as well take advantage of it, right?

So I did. After 5/10 jumping jacks and some stretching, I did a 1.26 mile loop - my legs felt fine at several points, but my lungs - and my mucused up sinuses - couldn't take the entire loop running, so I walked some points instead. I'm okay with that though - it takes time to build one's cardiovascular endurance back up. According to RunningMap.com, I did .94 miles before the mucus overtook my sinuses/lungs and I had to walk. I walked until the 1.02 mile point, picked up running until the 1.16 mile point when my asthma kicked in (probably wouldn't have happened had i stopped running that one point. of course, that stretch is the worst uphill part of this route, so you know). Walked until the 1.2 mile point and ran the .06 mile home stretch back to, well, my home.

Still, it's nice that I almost got to the one mile point before I had to walk thanks to mucus. I was deader on Sunday when I ran with Brandon and only did .8 miles ... weirdly enough. Since my family was apparently blessed with the never-ending mucus gene, the mucus will never completely go away (boo!), but hopefully it'll subside enough for me to get back to the point that I was at last summer - able to run 3.1 miles (or marginally more!) without having to stop to hack up a glob of mucus.

No comments: