Thursday, July 24, 2008

The wheels are coming off the train...

I'm starting to realize that when I cycle, the same old thought pops into my head every single time. I can't do this. Running, yeah, ok, that was certainly not easy when I started, since I haven't run seriously since high school, and even then, I was never a distance guy. C'mon, I played football! Sprint for 4 seconds, you're done. And hockey! Skating, different motion, yadda yadda yadda. But the running has come to me. The hurdles that I have had to clear when running have NOT been too bad. And I've always been a strong swimmer and did that quite a bit in college. But this cycling thing...

Today the tri girl and me were going to do a bike/run brick. She's got her tri in 10 days and quite frankly, I have been a lousy workout buddy. And at first, didn't even look like we were going to get a workout in. Rain was coming down hard as we were driving to the place where we cycle. But after a visit with one of girlfriend's friends, we went, cause the rain let up.

The ride started off and as usual, girlfriend was just destroying me. I was keeping up with her, but with a lot more effort than I should have been exerting. Plus it felt like a massive headwind as we were riding. At the 4.5 mile mark, we turned around. That headwind should have been a tailwind, right? Yeah, not so much. A good 10+ kt crosswind. The ride back was the same. I was just pushing myself because as I said earlier, I feel like I have been a lousy workout buddy. I am so confident in baby dino girlfriend and truly believe that she will chop the 17 minutes off her time, but when I look at it, it will certainly be no thanks to me.

So...as of now, I really am not too optimistic about doing well in a triathalon next year, and even though I keep saying I want to do one, I don't exactly feel confident. I mean, like I told girlfriend, I refuse to be like one of her friends last year who finished 3rd to last in her age group and was still happy. I want to do well. I don't have a benchmark because I haven't done this sort of thing yet, but I don't want to "just finish it". As far as I'm concerned, that is a loser mentality. I want to succeed, dammit!

But right now...the wheels are coming off the train...


No comments: