Sunday, May 11, 2008

5K #2 of the Season

Did my second 5K this morning down at Coors Field - the Rockies' Home Run for the Homeless. Unlike last race, Brandon and I got down and parked with plenty of time to stretch out and warm up and such. Waking up was a bit hard to do this morning (keep this in mind for later), but we did, got a good breakfast of oatmeal, egg beaters and turkey sausage in us and drove on downtown.

The race was a little different from the last one - no Championchip timing system - and Brandon didn't like that when the clock started, it started - regardless of whether you were first in line or somewhere 50 yards back. For instance, it took us about 210 seconds (2.5 minutes) to even get to the start line, but oh well - that was on our time.

The course itself was a pretty good one - mostly flats that wound around downtown with three or four hilly sections as we went under bridges (of which there were three or four). First mile seemed kind of long and I didn't like hearing that my time was 12 minutes something. I knew I had that long, crap-ass start, but still. A little after the first mile, my right calf started cramping up a little, but I pushed through it. The second mile was a little better and the time being called out was 23:something.

The last 1.1 miles was obviously the best as it was the end. This race was a little evil near the end though, as you saw the finish line ... but then realized, "waaaaait, aren't I supposed to be running a lap around the warning track of Coors?" Then you see the snake of people going in and out of the stadium and you're like, "damn. I saw 30:something on that clock," and you know it's going to be at least another few minutes.

For me, it was about four more minutes as I finished in 34:35, sprinting the last little bit and seeing my boyfriend down the line. Yay. :) Then it was back into the stadium for water, Powerade, bananas, bagels and Squishys (beer if you wanted it and weirdo brandon grabbed a hot dog) and time to wind down (and use a bathroom that wasn't a port-o-potty). After about 45 minutes, we headed back home and were treated with the delicious smell of BACON. Oh dear Christ was that a welcome smell.

Then, I passed out for about 90 minutes and could honestly still be in bed snoozing if the boy didn't drag me back out. Oh well, it's all for the best as I have a softball game in about five hours, after which I'll be back here blogging again. Go me.

No comments: